1. Life is a gift, and no matter how long we live, there’s always more to learn about it. It will teach you more than any classroom. Free your mind from “small thinking” and always contemplate the magnificence of being alive.
2. You are the only one of you in the world and you were not a mistake. There is a reason you are here, follow where your heart leads you and you will find that reason.
3. Find a mentor whose life illustrates integrity, compassion, sacrifice and strength. They created a path and even if you don’t want to walk in their footsteps, you can definitely learn from their example.
4. Never forget to give. No matter how little time, money or energy you have, contributing to your community, your environment is vital to the refreshing of your spirit. It will do more for you than you ever do for others.
5. Control money, never let it control you. If you don’t know how, learn. Never forget it is what you own and not who you are. HOWEVER, always have some, where no one else knows about it. Financial independence means you can walk away.
6. Keep a list of your values where you can regularly see them, for when circumstances are overwhelming. You will be grateful for a reminder. We are all human, but living outside your values makes life more miserable than any circumstances.
7. Cultivate relationships with “givers”. They will support you in your path and remind you who you are. It is your sacred duty is to feed those relationships. Don’t waste energy on the “takers” in your life; they are bottomless pits that are never satisfied.
8. Take care of your body now and every day after. Do not take your youth for granted, it fades fast. Feed it, water it and exercise it, like the delicate machine that it is. Avoid extremities of any kind and when it is in pain, listen to it.
9. Our sleeping dreams are catapults of our waking dreams. Do not deprive your life of its greatest asset…rest.
10. Whatever you pay attention to becomes a reality in your life. Choose wisely.
11. Respect begins within. Strive to treat yourself the same way you treat others. The more you understand yourself, the easier it is to understand the behavior of others.
12. Your first relationship with the world began with your parents. Revisit that relationship. The more you recognize them as people, not caregivers, the more you realize who they are, and who you are. Your life is not pre-determined, you are in control.
13. Your life, your knowledge, your skills, your experiences, your gifts are valuable and eternal. Develop and share them, it is the spark that can envelop and heal other souls around you. Don’t stifle your light.
14. You are at least ten times prettier than you think. Ask your mother/auntie/granny if she thought she was pretty when she was twenty. She’ll say no. Then find a photo of her at that age. See? Don’t ever let vanity take away from your spirit, it is a waste.
15. The only thing you should ever fake is confidence. If you don’t have it, pretend. In every new situation, pretend you’re not nervous and not afraid. The pretend part will eventually disappear and the respect you gain will bolster you in future situations.
16. In really tough situations, remember what it was like to be a nine-year old girl. Do a cart-wheel, even if you don’t want to, and remember that feeling of freedom. You are still that same person, remember that, and you will stay young until the day you die.
17. Cut or potted flowers are never a waste of money. They remind us, no matter how ugly things get, that there is beauty in the world.
18. Trust your gut. Before you know what it is, your gut does. You can ignore advice from friends, family, even your own brain, but you can’t ignore your gut, it never lies. Drowning it in alcohol or Haagen Dazs won’t make it stop telling you the truth.
19. Wear sunscreen on your face, neck, and hands every day, winter and summer. You’ll remember me when you look in the mirror at age fifty. Floss your teeth. Put nothing in your body that can permanently harm your spirit, including the wrong man.
20. Raise your consciousness. Believing there is a God and knowing Him are two different things. Cultivate that relationship and the world you live in will never be more than you can handle.